What is integrative medicine?
At Onyx, as Naturopathic Doctors (ND’s), we practice integrative medicine (IM). IM combines natural therapies with traditional medicine to work with your body and address the causes of the symptoms you’re experiencing, not simply suppress them. It also means focusing on the whole person; all symptoms — physical, mental, and emotional — are taken into account.
How is a ND similar to a MD?
Like MD’s, ND’s (Naturopathic Doctors) are:
- Licensed physicians in Arizona (medical health care providers in Kansas)
- Licensed to diagnose and treat
- Graduates of 4 year accredited medical school
- Licensed to prescribed pharmaceutical medications (In Arizona)
- Regulated by a Board of Examiners
- Required to invest in continuing education
- Licensed to perform physical exams
- Able to order laboratory testing and imaging
How is an ND different from a MD?
Naturopathic doctors receive similar level of medical training to MDs and utilize similar diagnostic tools, however their approach to health care differs from most medical doctors. NDs focus on resolving symptoms through treating the root cause of disease. They emphasize a therapeutic relationship between doctor and patient, which includes shared decision making in your healthcare. Therapies utilize a synergy of conventional and holistic therapies to achieve results safely and efficiently. NDs are trained in pharmacology and will be able to assist in medication management including side effects. An ND may order specialty testing (food allergy panels, adrenal stress tests, genetic/epigenetic testing).
Therapies may include:
- Chinese Medicine
- Clinical nutrition
- Diet and lifestyle counseling